Wednesday, September 01, 2010

kindy update

On Day 2, Sofi said kindergarten was "a little more" fun. She was a lot more animated and forthcoming about what she did. She told me she got two stars from the teacher and rattled off the names who got one and who got two. (already showing a competitive side?) She told me who she showed the little love note I left in her lunchbox. Who she sat next to on the bus. What she did in P.E. And she was very excited to hear that I would be volunteering in class this week. I'll be taking individual photos of each of her classmates on Thursday! Her words: "I heard you were going to be taking photos of the kids in class!" I felt good about that. Having worked in her pre-school for two years, it did feel a bit strange not to be involved in the classroom. This seemed like a perfect opportunity. There was a little drama with getting on the bus. She clung to Jamie and was the last one on the board. And right before she got on she noticed her wristband with her bus info was not on her wrist. But it was too late to do anything. Jamie called to tell me and I decided to drive down to school to drop an extra one off. Turns out, her wristband had just migrated up her arm! So the teacher cut of the original and put on the new one.


On Day 3, she was still the last one to board the bus, but with less clingyness. When the bus went around the block to leave our street, it passed our house. Jamie happened to be walking back at that moment and waved to Sofi who was sitting in the front seat. She was ALL smiles. When I picked her up, I asked her again: How was kindergarten? She said: A little more fun. After we got home, I decided to break out the new paints I got on Monday. Both girls did a little art then shared a snack.



Then Sofi wanted to play a game where she was the teacher and I was student Sofia. It was a great way for her to act out what goes on in the classroom instead of prying it out of her with endless questions. I found out that her art teacher has "two babies inside her" and will be going on maternity leave soon. I found that when they go to art class, the kids hold hands. One kid is assigned to be the leader and one is the door opener/holder. I found out that her teacher is teaching them about respect and manners. I found out who the tallest kids in the class are. I found out that one of the boys wears glasses. I found out that the teachers thinks there are many "good readers" in the class. And on and on.

Tomorrow, I will be going to the class to take photos. Wish me luck! I know it will be fun but I hope all the photos turns out well.

1 comment:

itsallrosi said...

so glad she's having a good first week!