Thursday, July 07, 2011

party time: more 4th of july pics


An hour or so before the party was to start, the girls sat down to watch The Cat Returns (again!). Don't you love retro apron and headband? I got the apron at Anthropologie on sale last Christmas and the headband and dress at the naartjiekids. (I made her put on the apron when she was writing the welcome message on the chalkboard so her dress wouldn't get messed up before the party.


Handmade pops of watermelon puree/lemonade/blueberrylemonade. Too bad we didn't get around to eating them at the party! Too much other food plus I kinda forgot all about them till the end of the party when everyone was too-sugared out.


Home-made strawberry cake (recipe here). We served it with Jamie's home-made coffee ice-cream, which we discovered is an awesome combination! This is one of the reasons why we never got around to eating the ice pops!


Kids's table (from Ikea). I bring it outside for all the kids parties. Has served us well.

We let the kids throw down some  poppits. Even Zara had a go.
 

A to Z : the two two-year-olds played well together!



I love bringing out the art easel at parties: as a welcome message at the start of the party and then later as an activity for the kids. I strung some of my ubiquitous tissue paper flowers (tutorial here) on the frame.
 

Balloon rockets originally bought for Zara's party but never used were a hit. Even though several balloons popped and a few landed on the roof, it kept the kids entertained for hours.
 

Balloon fireworks (how-to here) were a perfect way to end the evening. Hannah and I punched the confetti and filled up the ballons to hang on the low branches of the big elm tree in the backyard. I gave the older kids pins to pop them.
 
Other highlights that I didn't get photos of:
home-made lumpia + mojitos (first time I made them) + running through the sprinklers + "camping" (playing in the tents) + water balloons + grilled burgers with all the fixings + toasted almond/tangerine green salad with viniagrette by hannah + good company (no pics of the adults!) + lovely, hot weather.

overall, a great 4th!

1 comment:

Hannah Danforth Hill said...

These are great photos! I love them all, especially the trip-tic and the photo of Asher and Zara. The kids played really well together and it shows. Thanks for a great evening!