Thursday, January 28, 2010

sigh of relief

I've been having anxiety dreams all week.
Two milestones were looming and I was a wee bit (A LOT) nervous about them.

#1: Sofi will attending kindergarten......next fall. But the prep for next year is gearing up. Informational meetings (the first one is tonight!) Decisions to be made. All day vs half-day. Even which school to go to. I know Sofi is ready but it is big leap from half-day, 3 days/week with lots of parental participation to all-day, 5 days a week with little to no parental presence in the classroom.

More pressing was
#2: Leaving Zara in the nursery for the first time. At the co-op, I volunteer in the classroom twice a month. Until now, I was able to carry Zara around in my Bjorn. But once she turned 7 months, she was supposed to be in the nursery. Luckily, the universe conspired to make our first time as smooth as possible. I was able to switch with another mom to do purple apron - a physically less demanding job than my assigned blue apron. The nursery was moved to downstairs - closer to the classroom and easier to access. The mom scheduled to be in the nursery was super-helpful and understanding. She even carried my stroller up and down the stairs for me! There also happened to be lots of "extra" parents at school today, offering a hand whenever possible.

For the most of school, Zara was fine - I didn't hear any crying for a long time. But I knew she was tired. She usually naps while Sofi is at school, so when i finally did hear her crying I swooped in and nursed her and she quickly went to sleep. Then, I was able to hangout with another mom who had her baby in her frontpack until we re-joined the kids on the playground.

So yes, a big sigh of relief. Hopefully, next month will be even easier.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Oh we are in the same stages of life right! My Olivia starts kindergarten next fall and I left MY Sofi (Sofina- 6 mos) in the church nursery this morning. I am managing as well... *smile.

I don't know if you remember me, I won a RAK from you when I lived in Hawaii... but I started my own blog if you'd like to take a peek! :)